Did you know you can give your grandparents the gift of time? Grandparents LOVE to spend time with their grandchildren, but sometimes, they don’t know what to do with kids, or they are not physically able to get down and play or even share a meal. One of the things you can almost always do with your grandparents is the gift of time and sharing memories.
Our 21 questions to ask grandparent — a free printable — is just that. The gift of time. You take the time to sit down with Grandma or Grandpa and ask him these questions, and listen, really listen to the answers. Ask follow up questions. Video the entire experience. Write everything they say down. VALUE what they say. You are giving your grandparents time, and a precious walk down memory lane. You are blessing them. And you are creating a cherished new memory to take with you through the rest of your lives.
My grandmother actually lived with us for several years while I was in high school, and oh! How I loved to hear her stories. How I wish I had videoed her as she told those stories for us! And the wisdom she shared in those few short years. Oh my goodness. She was a precious woman of God, and now I cannot remember. For the life of me, I cannot remember the stories she shared. I know that some day when I can sit with her in heaven, she will start telling me stories, and it will all come flooding back, but for now those memories are lost while we are apart. What a treasure answers to these questions would be!
Right now, give your grandparents the gift of time. You will also be giving a gift to yourself!
Here are some ways to spread the love of 21 questions to ask grandparents even further.
- Record the answers on video and share the video with all of your aunts, uncles, cousins and relatives.
- Record the answers in a scrapbook, with pictures and make copies for everyone at Christmas or share it on Shutterfly so they can order their own copies.
- Get all of the stories put into a book, which you can print on Create Space.
- Create a game with the answers and play it at family reunions.
Here are the 21 questions to ask grandparents:
- Where were you born?
- Do you know why you were given your first name?
- Tell me about your siblings?
- Did you have a nickname growing up?
- What was the first trip you took in a car?
- Who was your best friend as a child?
- What was your favourite subject at high school?
- What do you remember about your grandparents?
- What was it like growing up in your home?
- What was your first date?
- What music did you like as a teenager?
- What is your earliest memory?
- Did you go on holiday as a child? If so where to?
- What is the most important lesson you have learned so far?
- What were your favourite hobbies growing up?
- What games did you play as a child?
- How did you celebrate Christmas when you were young?
- What was a naughty thing you did as a child?
- Did you have a pet as a child?
- Have you ever been in an accident? If so what happened?
- What advice would you give to your children now?